04 January 2010

Back Door Guests Are Best

First off, my most sincere apologies to my mother, who abhors anything with "Welcome Friends" or "Back Door Guests Are Best" plastered on a wooden chicken's behind and slapped on a stick. 

Y'all come on in and make yourselves at home.  There's still so much to do, but I guess it wouldn't be home if it was perfect.  When you step into the back hall from the garage, this is on your right.  The big old barn door was custom made, distressed by B with a hammer and a blowtorch, and rolls on a sliding track.  You surely don't want to catch your fingers in here - it weighs a ton and took two burly men just to get it up there!  The door leads to my office/craft junk storage room.  This room is also where I blog.  And as of last week, I'm no longer sitting on the paper shredder to type.  Joy!!  I'll show you more of it maybe next week after the cabinet guys bring the shutter doors for the cabinets. 


The entire back hall, ceiling and all, is covered in shiplapped, washed cypress.  It smells divine and takes me back home to Louisiana every time I walk through.

This is the space opposite the barn door.  I think I'd like to add a narrow table under the window for a lamp and a key drop.  I've been playing around with the burlap on the windows, and think this will look mo bettah with finished edges and some coordinating fabric on the ends.  You can see a little bit of the light fixture in here down in the kitchen photo.  It's a blue-green outdoor lantern and is cute as a button.


The lockers are to the right of the window.  Stag head coat hooks are from Anthropologie.


Wasn't loving the mirrors here, so I swapped them out tonight for the antique rooster engraving (found on ebay) and the French oil painting, which was a gift from a friend whose mother is the artist.


On we go.  The butler's pantry is on your left.  The cabinets in here, as well as all the trim in the house, are Benjamin Moore November Rain.  The countertops, as well as those in the kitchen, are soapstone.  They look black in these pictures, but are actually a beautiful dark green. 



Who knew I had so much white stuff?! 



Other side of the B.P.





Kitchen looking back toward the rear entry hall. These cabinets are also November Rain, but with a gray glaze on top.



See this countertop?  It's black walnut and our granite supplier wanted to charge us $3000 to make one just like it.  B made this one for $50 out of some wood we already had.  Love that man.  The prep sink is hammered copper and the faucet is bronze to match the one on the big sink.


The bar stools are some of my favorite things in the house.  They are leather made to look like alligator (fauxligator?) and are oh so comfy.


You've seen this part of the room in my Christmas post, but here it is again.  Backsplash is plain old white subway tile in a herringbone pattern.  In case y'all didn't know, I luvs me some herringbone!  The thing on the back of the range is an antique French madeleine pan, I think.


The breakfast area.  More washed cypress on the ceiling.  If I remember correctly, the light fixture is Currey & Co. By the way, I'm still waiting patiently for the window treatment fairy to show up.  Now let's all pretend we don't see that ugly lamp cord hanging down off the counter over there, shall we?



The sink is a Shaws.  The faucet is oil rubbed bronze. The cabinet guys still need to bring the glass shelves for the buffet cabinet.  All hardware in the kitchen is from Lowe's.


This is the view every morning from that window over the sink.  So peaceful.


Leaving the kitchen, we're going to skip the family room because it is so far from done it's not funny.  This is where the really cool stone fireplace with the Nascar mantle is, though.  That's kind of an interesting story for another day.


Powder room.  The sconces are vintage 70's lamps that I found at the Metrolina and had our electrician hardwire.  These very same lights were on 1st Dibs for $2600 (!!)  Did I pay that?  Idon'tthinkso. The huge mirror is from Lee Lighting and the vessel sink was a $99 special from Homegoods.  The brass and glass cabinet hardware is from Anthro again.


If you stand at the front door, this room is what you see.  My cozy little Mickey D's room.  I love this room, and the fact that you can see all the way from the front porch to the back yard here.  You can't see it very well, but the piece over the sofa is an antique railroad map of Louisiana. 


Part of the itty bitty box collection. 



The fireplace surround is a grayish green granite with fossils and shells in it.  I have a thing for seashells, and picked this out right after we came back from Edisto this summer.  So lovely.  Guess I was still on a beach high then.  The floors in here are black walnut.


More Louisiana fleur de lis, my $5 mint julep cup that I wrote about here,


and more itty bitty boxes...


The only part of the foyer I can show you right now.  My Oly chandelier is still on back order and it's starting to tick me off a wee bit.  Remember these lamps?  The yellow shades just did. not. go. The big gold mirror from our bedroom will go above this table after I get around to painting it black. The coral looking candlesticks are from Z Gallerie.

That's it for now.  I'll keep working on it.  Come back real soon, y'hear?

17 comments:

  1. Oh Tee!
    It's ALL gorgeous! Every little bit of it! The barn door is spectacular! And your kitchen is perfect. I'm going back and look at every pic...I feel like I've gotten a new mag in the mail!
    PS I recognized the Mickey D room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful... Everything is perfect! I'm only slightly jealous. We've been in our home 16+ years now and I'm ready to redo most of it... Your home is quite an inspiration. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooooooooh......Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! hee-hee! I lurve it! You live in like the most fantabulous house on the planet...you know that right? You should've been royalty. You could decorate castles. Hey, did you get my email the other day? If it didn't go through, I'll do-over.

    You're totally going to get magazines calling you wanting to photograph your house. Really. :-)

    Take care,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. OHG!! How beautiful!!! I've been waiting for photos of your home. When you posted the outside photo, I thought, "I can't wait to see the inside- I'm sure it's spectacular". Love the cypress, sliding barn door, fireplace, butler's pantry, kitchen-- well, that's just about everything!! can't wait to see photos of the living room.
    Robyn
    mysoutherncottage.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm absolutely swooning! You have beautiful taste and oh that butler's pantry. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As your first comment from "Lisa" said that she felt like she just got a new magazine...I feel the same way! :) And I took my time looking at your photos. Just gorgeous. I too love the Butler's Pantry....that gorgeous Walnut kitchen island with a copper sink! Be still my heart and I would spend a lot of time in your "mickey D" room. Thanks for the mini tour...looking forward to seeing MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous, beautiful, stunning... but really warm and comfortable. It looks lived in and real! Job well done...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at you....it is stunning. I hope you're proud, very proud, of all of yourselves Tee family.

    Love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Muse
    adivashammer.com/?p=763
    ~Butterfly Kisses~

    You have swept me up into a world of warmth and welcome...

    Simply gorgeous and cozy spaces!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tee...I am so glad that you stopped by earlier...I think I lost touch with you. I went back and made sure you were added to my sidebar...I don't know what happened...so weird!!!

    You have been a busy girl!!! Your home is absolutely stunning!!! I could look at the photos forever. You didn't miss a detail...love it all!!!

    I am going to check out all of the posts that I have missed. I look forward to catching up!!!

    Enjoy!!!
    XOXO
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Tee,
    Well...I'm speechless, and I'm a Southern girl through and through and THAT IS HARD TO MAKE HAPPEN!
    Everything is amazing. I swooned over the barn door, the countertops (both soapstone AND the black walnut that your husband did) and ALL the lighting and the cabinetry and your box collection and the view you posted and...
    Just divine. I took a little time off from blogging and finally put up my Blingified Tablescape and hope to have some renovation pictures soon and CHILDREN pictures, too. I'm soooo thrilled for you that you're getting everything in place in your wonderful home. I hope the other pieces you're waiting on come soon! I can't wait for more pix from you!
    Love/blessings, hugs, and turquoise joy, Lana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, wow wow! Soo beautiful and reflective of you, which makes it much more interesting. I tend to agree with your mother's opinion when it comes to things being etched on to nether regions of a chicken, and your home looks so inviting I don't think you really need a sign that says "welcome". Thanks for sharing these pictures with us, and really I forsee many happy memories in the home that you are all creating.

    ReplyDelete
  13. so many interesting things to look at in your home. my favorites are the coathooks, the wallhangings, THE $50 COUNTERTOP!, and the barstools (which are just perfect, by the way).

    kelly

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay excuse me while I move right in! Seriously -- I want to live in your house! It is amazing, beautiful, unique. I am in love with it! Thanks for the tour...

    ReplyDelete
  15. your home is beautiful...thank you for the tour...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am touring your home like I said I was going to and you and I have the same chest/buffet. The cherry one next to your fireplace. Mine is in the dining room. Did have the matching hutch and table when we bought that, but have gotten rid of the table and hutch since then and bought some separate pieces at a different store.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Please make my day and let me know you were here.